Monday, March 16, 2009

Monkey On My Back

You know how, when you have something that you need to but you would just rather it went away, it just hangs on your back and weighs you down. And the funny thing is that the longer you carry it around, the heavier it becomes. So then you finally decide to do it and it isn't that heavy of an ordeal at all. Well, maybe a little but when it is all said and done, you are glad not only to have it over, but even a little puzzled as to why you procrastinated the ordeal to begin with! That happened to me today. For weeks now Tom has been after me to can his beloved beets. He grows them with pleasure and picks and eats them relish! All I am required to do is cook the bleedin' things! Some nights I will even nibble one or two. I finally went in search of all ingredients and jars needed today. After only two stops I had everything required and was home and in the kitchen by 1:30. I will admit, not with the best of attitudes I began. Tom was right there for each step and helped peel and fill the jars. It wasn't until he reminded me of all the projects that I ask him to do for me all the time, without so much as a murmur, he happily fulfills my every whim, that I finally smiled a little. And when the last jar popped as it cooled on the counter, I felt like I had actually accomplished something stupendous. Okay, maybe not quite that great, but I did have a sense of peace that I had finally gotten that monkey on my back laid to rest! We now have a dozen jars of wonderful pickled beets, home grown and labled with love! Good day! Good man I married!

4 comments:

Sabra said...

Nice work, Patty! You are a good wife.

Tina said...

Good for you, Patty! You DID accomplish something stupendous :)

Deck The HALLS of HOME with JOY! said...

Cheer to beloved beets! Good job Patty! have a great week! =)

TAMMY said...

I have a lot of monkeys on my back at the moment that I can't seem to get off since Brandon has left. I think I need help!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash